Today’s Holiday gifting idea is something no one thinks they need but then don’t know how they lived without- a slow cooker! A slow cooker is the perfect gift for the busy friend or family member in your life who wants to make more home cooked meals, but doesn’t feel like they have the time to. A slow cooker can be turned on in the morning and will have a delicious meal ready by the time you get home from work. There are different sizes and functionality on all of them, but try to get one with multiple heat settings and a digital screen. I’ve listed some of the best slow cooker brands and places to buy them at the end of this post. To show you how much I love my slow cooker, I’ve also included my recipe for slow cooker lentil stew which is completely vegan, hearty, easy to make and just delicious!
- 5 large carrots chopped
- 4 stalks of celery chopped
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 8-10 mini potatoes cut in quarters
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 1/2 cups of dried green lentils
- 5 cups of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional- diced kale
- Add carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper to your slow cooker with 4 cups of water. Cook for an hour on high.
- Add the lentils, garlic and potatoes and either cook on high for 2-3 hours until water is absorbed or 5-6 hours on low. Add in the last cup of water if the lentils are still too firm and the liquid has absorbed.
- I sautéed kale with salt, pepper and garlic powder and stirred it in to the finished product.
You can eat this stew on its own or make quinoa or brown rice to serve it with.