I was going to hold off and post this a bit later in the week, but it was just so good I couldn’t wait! I am not a big pasta eater, but I could have eaten the entire box with this sauce on it. It’s rich, creamy and packed with flavour. The kicker? It’s totally vegan, but doesn’t taste vegan, which makes it the perfect sauce to serve to a group with mixed eating habits. It’s also a great way to sneak veggies into your meal! The pumpkin is packed with vitamins and minerals that you wouldn’t get from a traditional alfredo.
This recipe is modified from Simply Quinoa, so I can’t take the credit for the deliciousness.
Try it, you will not regret!
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 lb gluten-free pasta of your choice
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the cashews and hot water to a high powered blender and blend on high until creamy, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet, add the olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Once the oil is heated add the garlic and saute until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the salt, pepper and cook another minute or two.
- Add the pumpkin puree and half the cashew milk into the pan. Stir until smooth. Slowly add in the nutritional yeast, and whisk until smooth. Slowly add in the rest of the cashew milk, whisking continuously. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Cook for 3-5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the pasta to the pan and toss with your sauce. Let cook for 1-2 minutes until the flavours have a chance to mix together and the pasta is heated all the way through