This is one of those recipes that came together in a pinch, but was too delicious not to share. I had done a haul on Naturamarket, and was looking for a way to use the gluten free orzo I ordered. I also had a whole plan last weekend to recipe create and photograph for the eBook, but that got derailed so I had some leftover veggies that needed to be used before they went bad. Sometimes creating a recipe is just that simple, it’s necessity to use whatever is leftover at home.
What I love about a recipe like this is that it only took about 20 minutes to make, and it made roughly 4 servings. It can be stretched to 6 servings though if you use it as a side dish instead of your main. Other ideas include adding in some grilled chicken, veggie sausage or shrimp for some added protein.
- 1 box of Jovial Orzo Pasta
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped
- 1 bunch of kale, chopped (roughly 2 cups)
- 4 gloves of garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp Nafsika’s Garden “mozzarella” shreds
- Cook the orzo according to the package instructions. It takes roughly 10 minutes to cook to al dente
- In a medium pot, heat 1 tsp of the olive oil
- Add in your garlic and sautee 2-3 minutes until it softens
- Add in the kale and half of the salt. Cover and let cook down to wilted. This will take roughly 5 minutes
- Add in your broccoli, the rest of the salt and olive oil, the pepper and the chili flakes. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the broccoli softens
- Add the cooked orzo and the mozzarella shreds to the pot and stir well. Cover and let the “cheese” melt. This should only take a minute or two. Be careful not to overcook the pasta at this point.
Serve and enjoy!