This Friday, the hubs and I are heading back to LA. I’m extra excited for this trip because it’s actually the first time we’ve been to LA together. I’m doubly as excited because we’re going to meet my new niece for the first time. LA is one of my favourite places to travel to- it has a little bit of everything, for everyone, and more than anything their health scene is on point! There’s so much to do, so many places to explore, but we’re only there for 10 days…
When I know we’re going to be somewhere only for a limited amount of time, before leaving I look back at the last trip (if it’s a repeat visit) to see what we did so we can pick new places and activities on the next trip. If it’s a new place, I start my research early and make lists of places we’d like to go. These lists are used as guides only to avoid vacation feeling like work. I know we likely won’t get to everything, but at least we have an idea of the places and activities we’d like to tackle.
On this particular trip, I’ve got 3 major things in mind- LA workouts, LA healthy restaurants and grocery stores and the “tourist” category. I’ve been to LA so many times, and since my family lives there, we don’t often explore some of the more touristy spots. Since it’s the hubs first time, I’m thinking it’s about time we do some exploring. We also have a road trip planned to Vegas, so there’s a whole second series to this adventure!
The thing with lists, is they also help to plan your packing. Since we’ll have an idea of where we’re heading, it will make the packing process way easier. I have a tendency to over pack, because I never want to be without the “key” piece that would have made the outfit. So once my “what we’re doing” list is done, I start outfit building!
My travel prep go to’s are simple, and will help you to avoid forgetting anything essential
- Write down your outfit “can’t live withouts”. Those are the pieces that make you feel great and complete any outfit. These are the first pieces that you should be packing.
- Create outfits based on occasions. If you know you want to work out while you travel, you need workout clothes and running shoes. If you know you’re headed to the beach, bathing suits are key. Nice dinner? You need an outfit and shoes.
- Try to bring shoes that match most of your outfits. That way, you avoid wanting to take 10 pairs with you. 1 pair of running shoes, 1 pair of heels, 1 pair of every day shoes, and 1 pair of flip flops. If you have space, you can add more, but usually this should have you pretty covered.
- Make sure you have all your toiletries before you go. Yes you can buy anything you’re missing when you travel, but it’s usually more expensive and you’re travel money is better spent on activities than on toothpaste.
- For the plane- get yourself a reusable water bottle. Bring it through security empty then fill at a water fountain. Airport food is expensive, they have you trapped there, so you have to spend on anything extra. At least this way, you’ll have water for the plane (staying hydrated on the plane is super important so this one is key!)
Stay tuned, I’ll be posting stories along the way, and when I get home, each of my above topics will be put into blog posts to share the good, the bad and the silly on our LA adventure!